Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Review: A Trail of Crumbs by:Susie Finkbeiner

 A Trail of Crumbs: A Novel of the Great Depression
About the Book:
"I believed it would have been a sin to stay inside when God had sent us such fine weather. According to Pastor Ezra Anderson, sin was the reason we'd got in the dusty mess we were in. The way I saw it, that day was God's way of letting us know He wasn't mad at us anymore. Just maybe He'd seen fit to forgive us."

Pearl Spence has been through more in her young life than most folks could handle. But through it all, her family has been by her side. They may not be perfect, but they love her and they all love each other, come what may. That's one thing Pearl no longer questions.

But the end of her beautiful day signals the beginning of the end of her secure life.

Now her family is fleeing their Oklahoma wasteland. Pearl isn't sure she'll ever see home or happiness again. Are there any crumbs powerful enough to guide her back to the dependable life she once knew?

The strong narrative voice of Finkbeiner's young protagonist from A Cup of Dust returns in this gritty yet hopeful sequel, sure to please her many fans.


My Review:
 This beautiful touching story takes us back to the Great Depression where we find an older main character Pearl. The struggle in the Great Depression was very real and depressing and touched so many lives in so many different ways. A Trail of Crumbs, is a story that takes you down the road that precious Pearl has to walk each and every day of her life. She has already been through so much and its exciting but so utterly heartbreaking to see the turn that her life will take.

 The story was written from Pearl's point of view. With her neatly woven one liners as well as the conversation I felt like I was having with her, this book took me along for a ride. A ride that was meaningful and left me longing for Pearl to tell me more about her Mama. The book was rich and delicate all at the same time and I loved every single minute of it.

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment