Monday, April 25, 2016

Review: Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life by:Jeff Vanderstelt

 Saturate: Being Disciples of Jesus in the Everyday Stuff of Life
About the Book:
Many Christians have unknowingly embraced a lie--the idea that "church" is a once-a-week event rather than a community of Spirit-empowered people; that "ministry" is something pastors do on Sunday morning rather than the 24/7 calling of all true believers; and that "discipleship" is a program rather than the normal state of every follower of Jesus. Drawing on his experience as a pastor and church planter, Jeff Vanderstelt wants us to see that there's more--much more--to the normal Christian life than merely sitting in a pew and listening to a sermon once a week. Rather, God has called his people to something bigger: a view of the Christian life that encompasses the ordinary, the extraordinary, and everything in between.

My Review:
 The modern church, in my opinion has long sense given up on the idea of discipleship. I think it is mainly because many of the people in the congregation refuse to get their hands dirty or invest their time in bringing up others behind them. I myself along with my family have been attending the same church for over 5 years now and trying to become involved in a particular ministry in full servant mode has been very difficult. So many people are afraid if you help too much you are either trying to outdo them or take over their position. I find this very disheartening to say the least. There are those of us believe it or not that have a hunger to help.

 I was raised in a church that at a very early age, we helped. I had a class of 3 and 4 year olds when I was only 12 years of age. I delighted in it. I haven't changed much as an adult. I love to help and be apart of something bigger than myself. When my husband was called to preach I was so stinkin' excited because I could help on an even bigger level. We could even involve the whole family. But being involved in a church without those same views is very hard and very sad.

 Saturate is a book that speaks to my soul, literally. I see the vision that the author is going for and this is exactly what I have a hunger for. It is difficult when you go to church right along someone that is so egotistically that they prevent you from helping in certain areas. There is room for all of us to reach out to the lost. My personal unsolicited advice to those of you that run into a similar situation is do NOT let people like this hold you back from fulfilling a heart for the lost that God placed in you.

 The author has given us a vision that we should NOT ignore. It will motivate you to get off that pew and do something!

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment