Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Review: Waking Up Slowly by:Dave Burchett

 Waking Up Slowly: Spiritual Lessons from My Dog, My Kids, Critters, and Other Unexpected Places
About the Book:
What if we are stubbing our toes on the sacred every day and not realizing it?We are the most connected culture in history but arguably the most disconnected from the awareness of God's presence. "Waking Up Slowly" is author Dave Burchett's personal challenge to live "in the moment" and find the everyday joys he misses in disconnected busyness.What moments of joy do we inadvertently miss as we stare at our screens? What performance idols destroy our ability to appreciate God's gifts? 

 Dave Burchett sets out to find out how life might look differently if he awoke each morning consciously looking for the easy to miss "postcards from God." "Waking Up Slowly" is an intimate, warm, and touching story of discovering how to more fully appreciate living in the moment. During his discovery, the author finds regular reminders of daily joys from his Labrador pal, Maggie."Waking Up Slowly" challenges the reader to recognize, appreciate, and celebrate the ways that God reveals himself daily. Through regular people, everyday situations, cuddly creatures, and stunning nature, God's presence is real and discover-able. We just need to wake up to it.

My Review:
 It is hard to learn our lessons about life sometimes. The smallest lessons are usually the ones that need to be learned the most. In Dave Burchett's book entitled Waking Up Slowly the author begs of us to live in the moment. Don't get so busy that life that you are chasing is actually passing you by. I absolutely love books that challenge me to be a better person and to live better, especially spiritually. And this book is one of those books.

 My favorite chapter was Getting Outside of Yourself. I really enjoyed the authors thoughts and commentary on the subject of Paul and contentment. I love to serve at my church. I always have even as a little girl. I just absolutely love it. I feel that this is something God placed in me and I love the freedom to do it. Some time ago someone that I helped regularly with church events and activities told me not so politely that they didn't need or want my help anymore. Needless to say I was devastated. So incredibly hurt.

 I went to God about it and did for several months. I have to help. I love to do this for my Father. I love to serve people. I was made for this. I still do not understand to this day why this individual said these things to me. But I had to immediately nip it in the bud before bitterness turned to anger which in turn would turn to hate. God chose for us a life of servant hood. We are to serve those around us and to have a smile on our face while we are doing it.

 But as the author points out, sometimes thats not so easy and this is where we really have to rely on the Master. I absolutely love the life lessons that the author went over in his book and using his own lessons was very smart. This was a great read!

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment