Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Review: Susie: The Life and Legacy of Susannah Spurgeon by:Ray Rhodes

 Susie: The Life and Legacy of Susannah Spurgeon, wife of Charles H. Spurgeon
 **Disclosure**This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
 
About the Book:
The definitive biography of Susannah Spurgeon.

While many Christians recognize the name of Charles H. Spurgeon, the beloved preacher and writer, few are familiar with the life and legacy of his wife, Susie.  Yet Susannah Spurgeon was an accomplished and devout woman of God who had a tremendous ministry in her own right, as well as in support of her husband. Even while dealing with serious health issues, she administered a book fund for poor pastors, edited and published her husband’s sermons and other writings, led a pastor’s aid ministry, wrote five books, made her home a hub of hospitality, and was instrumental in planting a church. And as her own writing attests, she was also a warm, charming, and fascinating woman.

Now, for the first time, Susie brings this vibrant woman’s story to modern readers. Ray Rhodes Jr. examines Susannah’s life, showing that she was not only the wife of London’s most famous preacher, but also a woman who gave all she had in grateful service to the Lord.

Susie is an inspiring and encouraging account of a truly remarkable woman of faith that will delight Spurgeon devotees and fans of Christian biographies alike.


My Review:
 The legacy that Susannah Spurgeon leaves behind far outweighs that of her husband, in my opinion. I know that he lived for Christ and that his image and that of Jesus were abundant in his life. We don't have to read them to know that, we can just read about his character and how he lived--he lived it out in front of us. Susie as she was called by many, her life was the one quietly behind the scenes. She loved her God and her guy to the fullest. She was an upstanding individual with quality character. She made Charles what he was in so many ways, but one that far outweighed the rest was her love and devotion to "the man".

 When I first dove into this quality piece of writing, I was beyond excited to see what this grand lady was all about. It was soon apparent to me that she was a woman of great strength and dignity--things that as a Christian woman I strive to be. The author did a great job of letting me get to know this phenomenal lady. I was in tears most of the time because the love she had for God and for her husband was astounding and it touched my heart. By the end of the book I wanted to be just like her.

 This book is a great descriptor of persons for such a passionate lady that achieved so much in her life. I am sure she has many jewels in her crown, there in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment