Thursday, April 14, 2016

Litfuse Review: Simple Pleasures by:Marianne Jantzi

Simple Pleasures: Stories from My Life as an Amish Mother
About the Book:
Young Amish homemaker Marianne Jantzi invites readers into her family's life and Amish community. The mother of four young children and wife of a storekeeper, Jantzi writes about her daily routines and heartfelt faith with equal measures of wit and warmth. Sewing, cleaning, cooking, gardening, and helping to manage the store take up most hours in her day, but Jantzi finds time to pen columns for the Connection, a magazine beloved by Amish and Mennonite readers across the United States and Canada. Never sugarcoating the frustrations of motherhood, Jantzi tells it like it is, broken washing machine and bickering children and all. But through her busy days, Yoder finds strength in simple pleasures of family, fellowship with her Amish community, and quiet time with God.

My Review:
 We see the Amish and we are enamoured by them. They seem to exist happily serving their God and their community and they survive solely on those two thing, as well. I myself, have said numerous times that I wish I could live as simoply as they do. When you are on the outside looking in things with them seem virtually effortless, but this is far from the truth. Simple Pleasures is a book that shows the world that the Amish live a lot like we do.

 While they seem quiet and reserved and their children seem very well mannered they have many of the same problems that we all do. I think we are wrongly holding them to a standard that they themselves have trouble equating themselves too. As I read Marianne's words I realized that we are very much alike and I was grateful in a way to see that she as I am is just a mom trying to survive in this world and it was all good. She wants to be the best "me" she can be while serving her one true God as well as her family.

 Simple Pleasures is a breath of fresh air! It's simplicity is equally beautiful as it is normal. I enjoyed this read, tremendously!

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author.

No comments:

Post a Comment