Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Review: Black, White, Other by:Joan Steinau Lester

 Black, White, Other: In Search of Nina Armstrong
About the Book:
Identity Crisis.


As a biracial teen, Nina is accustomed to a life of varied hues—mocha-colored skin, ringed brown hair streaked with red, a black father, a white mother. When her parents decide to divorce, the rainbow of Nina’s existence is reduced to a much starker reality. Shifting definitions and relationships are playing out all around her, and new boxes and lines seem to be drawn every day.


Between the fractures within her family and the racial tensions splintering her hometown, Nina feels caught in perpetual battle. Stranded in a nowhere land of ethnic boundaries, and struggling for personal independence and identity, Nina turns to the story of her great-great-grandmother’s escape from slavery in hopes of finding her own compass to help navigate the challenges before her.


My Review:
 I am a grown white kid, so I can in no way comment or try to understand another black woman and will never claim too. My mom would tell me when I was young after going to her about my friend, "Tina", she was of a mixed race--that I didn't understand why the black girls at my school bullied her. My mom would say that sometimes girls that are mixed have it even harder because they are stuck somewhere in the middle.

 Being a young girl, I never understood. That is until I got older that she was right. Mixed kids have it especially hard because they are out into a category and no one gives any thought to how they may be hurting. Such is Nina's plight. She wants so hard to fit in but with all the racial tension coupled with the divorce of her parents--she feels overwelmingly slighted in the fair shake category--these days.

 Black, White, Other pushes the racial boundaries and causes you to think about someone else other than yourself, if only for a moment.

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment