Thursday, April 20, 2017

Litfuse Review: Getting Jesus Wrong: Giving Up Spiritual Vitamins and Checklist Christianity by:Matt Johnson


About the Book:
If you met Jesus today, and he asked, What do you want from me? what would you say? When Jesus asked that question long ago, he got a variety of answers. Some wanted a miracle, some a theological debate, some a sign that he was the Messiah, some wanted power, some wanted just to see him, and others wanted to get rid of him. We are much the same aren't we? We all want something from Jesus. We are just hoping for a little help to get through life a new direction, a purpose that will get us up in the morning, an exercise plan, a way to get organized. But that approach to Jesus doesn't result in real faith or love. 

 The real Jesus doesn't give us just a little help. He turns our world upside down. Getting Jesus right means a whole new way of thinking (the way up is down) and a whole new way of life (daily dependence on the one who knows the beginning from the end). Instead of a blueprint for living or a new workout plan, we get a rich life where the simple truths of the gospel inform our everyday life with each other. Where we daily remember our deep need for forgiveness, the joy of being forgiven, and gradually become those who receive grace and share grace with those around us.
 
My Review:
 Following after God and living for Him is a daily choice, most days it's easier than others. I'm glad that God does grants us grace in multiple areas, especially this one.  Running after Him especially when the world has turned against you or at least when it feels like it has is one of those times when it's all I can do to keep from breaking in a million pieces if I don't get to grab a hold of the remnant of Him, one more time. There are so many things He is to me but most of all lately, He has been comforter. I'm not sure if the Bible says it but sometimes He can be a challenger, as well.

 He challenges me to be better than I was yesterday. He challenges me to look outside of my own "box", even when it seems impossible. God is straight forward and simple yet so incredibly complicated. Just when you think that you have a hold of this "being a Christian thing" he takes you in for another round. He tells me I am to rely on Him for comfort, for living, for wholeness and that no one can complete this in me only Him. He never lies or tries to twist the truth so I know without a doubt I can count on Him and His word above all else. Whether its feelings or situations that turn my world upside down, I know for a fact that my God walks through that fire right beside me.

 Many times in my life, I myself have gotten Jesus wrong. I thought that He was no where to be found, when in fact He was beside me, all along. During the times I have made horrendous mistakes wondering why He didn't stop me. Or the time when I was so incredibly devastated by my mother's death that I went through a 20 year long depression and fog that swallowed me, sadness and all. There have been so many times, that it is virtually impossible to count. But, I have come to realize that in those times, all of them in every situation, He may have been quiet but I was never alone.

 The author many times has found himself at a crossroads of sorts where he thought he had God all figured out when in fact, he didn't. God I find personally, is sort of like that. He does NOT fit into a box for us to use when we feel like it and how we want. He is after all, GOD. He is our God. Our leader and the director of our life. This life is ongoing and each day as the author states we have to live the way He wants us to not how we want to. It is after all about glorifying Him. We spend our lives doing it here only to continue once we are in Heaven with our glorious King.

The author shares what he has learned on his journey through this life and following Jesus. While he didn't always get it right, he admits that he doesn't always get it right but we can't give up--we have to keep trying.

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment