Thursday, April 27, 2017

Review: English Lessons by:Andrea Lucado

 English Lessons: The Crooked Path of Growing Toward Faith
About the Book:
Could She Come to Love the Questions Themselves?
The church wasn't just a part of Andrea Lucado's childhood. It was her childhood. It provided more than happy moments. It provided an invitation to know Jesus.
When Andrea arrived in Oxford the year after she graduated from college, she expected to meet God there. What she didn't expect was that God would be much bigger than she'd believed.
In this engaging memoir, Andrea speaks to all of us who wrestle with doubt and identity. -So many nights in Oxford, - Andrea writes, -I felt like the details of my faith were getting fuzzier. Nights turned restless with questions. I questioned God's existence, and the doubt was getting into my bones.-
In English Lessons, Andrea takes us through the roads of England and, more importantly, the paths of the soul. Here she explores the journey of a changing faith and an unchanging God--and why growing up starts with realizing just how small we are.


My Review:
 I would to preface my review by saying that while I understand that there are some really harsh things that the author has written in relation to being a young adult or teen for that matter at this present time in history. I will say that I am grateful that she let us see how and what she was thinking during those teen/young adult years and those years of doubt. 

 My daughter hasn't had the exact same experiences but she did go through a time of doubting God and rebellion, it was a very difficult for her. This also goes to show you that while the author is a ministers child she still has the same weaknesses we all have had.

 She decides to take us to her time spent in another country to reveal the struggles she has had and I think it took a lot of guts to do that. I love the openness of the book and I think the author did a great job of being open, honest and addressing things that many adults go through no matter their age.

**Disclosure** This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from the author. All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment