Thursday, July 2, 2015

Review: Give Yourself A Break by:Kim Fredrickson

Give Yourself a Break: Turning Your Inner Critic Into a Compassionate Friend
About the Book:
Many people are used to showing compassion to others. What many of us have trouble with is showing that same compassion to ourselves. Too often we say things to ourselves that we would never say to a friend. All this negative self-talk can have a devastating effect on our lives. 
Licensed marriage and family therapist Kim Fredrickson wants readers to stop beating themselves up. Grounding her advice in the Bible, she offers practical steps and specific exercises to reprogram our thought lives. She helps us learn to show ourselves the kind of grace and understanding we offer to others--and to change our relationships, our outlook on life, and our view of ourselves in the process.

My Review:
 While I agree with the author on most fronts. I don't want to ever take the risk of not listening to that part of me that says, ya know maybe those that speak out against might have a point. And usually after this thought I use some time with God and ask Him to help me see their point number and number two change me to suit Him.

 We have to sometimes or most offer grace to those around us after all that is what God does for us. He offered us grace in order for us to give it away to others. We need to try harder to do just that. Hating everyone just because we don't approve is not the way to God's heart, and frankly we weren't made that way. God in all His goodness wants us to use Him and Jesus for examples on how to live and to show others the way to Him.

 Setting yourself up by talking bad to yourself isn't the way either. Being overly critically of yourself can become a very hard habit to break, I know this first hand but I also want to remain as humble as possible so that I can see my faults more clearly.

 The author has wrote a good book with sound advice to get us started down the right road to self acceptance.

**Disclosure**This book was sent to me free of charge for my honest review from Revell.

No comments:

Post a Comment